Monday, November 2, 2020

Lets get started!

Here is a good primer on how I sew MOST things:

Step 1 - I find something that I already like most elements of. Whether that be the fit, the look, or how quick it looks like it'd be to sew up.

Step 2 - I cut open a used paper grocery bag (which we have a lot more of these days since most stores won't use reusable bags right now.)

Step 3 - I trace the item (or each fabric segment of it) plus a little bit more to allow for shrinkage or seam allowance onto sections of the brown paper.

Step 4 - I cut out and label my new paper template (or make any little changes/improvements that I want to and then cut it out.)

*Optional Step 5* - To digitize my paper templates, I take a photo from overhead with them laid over my large cutting mat. The measurement grid on it allows me to then open the photos in Adobe Illustrator or any vector drawing application and allign it with the measurement grid there to trace (I use the paths tools) to get my digital pdf patterns. I delete out the photo once I am happy with my line pattern. Here you can also add in your seam allowance lines, size-check square, and any text or measuring instructions etc.



Pretty simple, huh?

I do obviously create some of my patterns totally from scratch or with trial and error. However, this is how I do the vast majority of my textile-sewing and template creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Offering Pattern Digitizing Services...

 So, I have already offered this in my Discord and have mentioned it in a few videos...  But, I want to make sure people know that I am more...